Monday, September 20, 2004

My Generation (settled down)

"All my rowdy friends have settled down.
Seem to be into more laid-back fun."
Nobody wants to get out on the town - or the open road either.

Dude! Why are so many adults scared to get outside? Some takers are waking up to the Pathfinder opportunity, but where are the multitudes ready to hit it, get out on Arizona Route 66 and drive with one elbow out the window. Sandals, T-shirts - well it's October / November, but sunglasses (& snow chains) anyway.
"People try to put us down
just because we get around
. . .
Hope I die before I get old."
[I turned 45 in August 2004]

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Burton. I hope that I did not inspire your last entry!! :( You are pretty much right on with your assessment, but you know...my circumstances are *different* that everyone elses! :)

Sounds like a great trip. I look forward to reading your blog as you go. And knowing where to find you when I do pick up and leave the job behind.

- Holly

Anonymous said...

Musings for a birthday, and a road trip. A poem by Nina Cassian.

Youthing

It's like the process of aging.
Just a process.
Your hair starts to grow wilder,
your skin gets smoother,
your appetites increase.
Suddenly, you sing in the shower and in the rain,
you discover a plant you've never seen before
and you munch it.
What's that tiny star on your left temple?
Maybe a bird scratched it with tender claws
to prod you into flying.
And then, that dialogue with the moon
keeps you awake.
and then, that dream of death becomes more and more remote
-or is it the other way around?